Sacramento – The California Joint Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus announces the honorees for this year’s API Heritage Month “Excellence Awards” today (Monday, May 14th) at the State Capitol.
- Excellence in Advocacy: Amanda Nguyen – Founder and CEO of Rise
- Excellence in Business: Ron Wong – President and CEO of Imprenta Communications Group, Inc.
- Excellence in Labor: Dave Low ¬– Executive Director of California School Employees Association
- Excellence in Literature: Viet Thanh Nguyen – Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author
- Excellence in Philanthropy: Peggy Saika – Immediate Past President and Executive Director of Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy
- Excellence in Public Service: Maeley Tom – Founder and CEO of Tom & Associates
- Excellence in Sports: Vincent Zhou—2018 U.S. Olympic Figure Skater
Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 231, authored by Assemblymember David Chiu (D – San Francisco) establishes May 2018 as Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Awards are presented to distinguished Asian and Pacific Islander Americans during a special floor ceremony dedicated to honoring leaders who have enriched our history and culture through their achievements.
The California Joint Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus represents and advocates for the interests of the diverse API communities throughout California.
Website of the California API Legislative Caucus: http://apicaucus.legislature.ca.gov